Before going to the list, I have a secret to share with all. It is literally a struggle to travel with kids and that too if it was without any of our not so secret weapons like mobile phones, iPads, tablets etc. then it would have been next o impossible. These devices make all the long flights, bus and train trips somehow stress less. Thanks to these, the kids can happily play all day while on a trip without making any fuss, most of the times they are never allowed to use these devices; but on long journeys, they come as a savior if nothing else!
Having said that, as a parent we should try to restrict the use of electronics devices usage and exposure towards our children as much as possible, you can use it as a mean to zip thru the hectic journeys and travels times, which we are sure doesn’t happen every day. All in all, we don’t want our kids to become the slave of the electronic equipment which keeps them inside the house all the time and doesn’t allow them to go out and explore the beautiful world outside.
Kids need to use headphones or earphones while traveling and the normal once supplied will not be functioning properly on their little ears and moreover, it is not so safe for them.
For the reason mention above, the following article was written in order to find the “Best headphones for kids” and the “Best earphones for toddlers”; the results of the research are given below which would hopefully help you save your time and to find the perfect solution for kids who make a big fuss during traveling.
Are headphones for toddlers safe and can kids use them?
Headphones specifically meant/designed for children is very safe for kids and toddlers, only if chosen and used correctly. It is recommended investing in the best headphone for toddlers in association with regards for the safety of your kids (we should take utmost care during their growing years), by doing it this way they will not only keep the little ones entertained but also ensure that no damage is done to the child’s ear. Many research over ages shows that the damage can occur easily because of their underdeveloped ear canals which cannot sustain the pressure of our normal headphones. As for as Headphones go for, they are not really suggested because of various reasons.
The Kids earphones sit directly on the ear and hence can cause some damage if the sound volume is cranked up too high. Even the best earbuds in the world for such small ears or best kid’s earbuds can create some problem here. It is similar for earphones for toddlers also. The ear is very vulnerable and sensitive at this age and, with the number of teenagers facing damaged hearing has increased, it would be wise to choose the best pair while your child is still young.
In order to ensure that you have the safest headphones for toddlers and kids, make sure that you purchase toddler safe headphones, stay away from all the earphones that sit directly on the ear (which are harmful to grownups as well) also ensure that you cannot hear the noise from a meter away and follow the tips suggested below.
Things look for in the best headphones for your children!
There are obviously a few things to consider as important when looking for the best headphones for kids. One of the main which would be generally suggested is the volume limiting headphones for children, it is not recommended at all to have a high volume. The best headphone for kids will have a feature that allows you to set the volume (limit) at less than the maximum, which is a requirement preferred when looking for. less than 85db (max) volume hearing for less then 60 mins per day is suggested for kids.
The second thing which would be recommended is to check the size of your child’s head. If you have a child that is in the 95% percentile for head
size then not all headphones (or clothes) are suitable for him! In addition to this, it is important to make sure that the headphones are well adjustable and flexible. Some can even be adjusted for adults, and although it is nice to have this option it is not necessary when looking for kids unless you are sure you are going to use them too.
Wireless headphones can also be a great option as they take away the issue that comes with tangling because of wired headphones, it is reviewed as the best kids wireless headphones in the following article. Always remember that with wireless headphones it is important that many of them require a full charge before using, and also they are limited by battery life for around 9 hours. This can be more than sufficient for a day out, but for long flights and bus trips, it is definitely not enough.
“List of the best headphones for the toddlers on an airplane”
1 – Nabi Headphones review
The first contender on our list is the Nabi headphones, if you are the person looking for a really high-quality pair of headphones for your small devil then the Nabi Kids headphones may be a really great option, so you go for it.
These headphones have a very high quality with ‘DJ’ sound, which results in great bass, crispness, and richness of whatever your child may listen through it. The important thing for any parent is the volume control and these headphones have two volume options, with one for limiting the sound to under 80 dB for use for your child, and one for when parents are using them. The headphones are made with a high-quality ear cushion which does a really good job of blocking out the outer noise and any other distortion in the environment. And a friendly suggestion is that be prepared to be amazed at when your kid talks to you with these headphones on.
- DJ QUALITY – Experience superior sound quality with premium sound drivers that are professionally tuned for audio depth, sonic richness, and clarity of sound.
- DUAL MODES WITH VOLUME LIMITING – Includes two listening modes: (1) nabi Mode – Volume is limited to a safe 80db for kids and (2) Parent Mode – Full listening experience with pristine high definition sound.
- CUSTOMIZABLE – The best part is the customizability! Now you can get Nabi Headphones with KINABIs and Headphone Wraps of your kid’s favorite characters and various matching interests
The Nabi headphones for kids are usually suggested for older kids of 4 and above but are adjustable and flexible enough to even be worn by adults in the one size. So, while these are child size headphones, you can steal them for yourself when you need them. In case you were looking for a pair of high-quality headphones that both your child and you can enjoy, Look no further as these may be it.
Also, read – - What is the Role of a subwoofer in a CAR? - Best wireless earbuds for small ears - Best under seat subwoofer with inbuilt amplifier - Best soundbars under $250 – Complete list! - Best Boomboxes of all time!
2 – Kidz Gear Wired Headphones
Top on our list is KIDZ gear wired headphones, it is uncommon if you may have already heard of the Kidz Gear headphones, as they are one of the best manufacturers in the market and are proven to be very popular with parents and kids as well, and to be honest it is exciting to do a Kidz Gear headphones review.
What is that makes Kidz Gear wired headphones such a great choice is that the headphones have a lifetime limited warranty given to it. After various tests done it has resulted in a really durable, high-quality pair of headphones. Apart from that the Kidz Gear volume limit headphones feature is simply superb as it allows you to limit the volume to 20 dB below the maximum, changing the maximum volume set to 80-90 db. This reduces the chances of ear damage and results that using them is so much safer in comparison to others. In addition to this, the sound quality is great and they are comfortable enough to be used for long durations.
Specs of the headphones
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – Lifetime Limited Warranty
- WORKS WITH iPad, iPod and iPhone and many many other audio devices
- Custom designed fit for children 2 yrs. and older – Lightweight and comfortable
- Currently available in amazing five NEW COLORS – Pink, Blue, Green, and Purple!
- Volume limit cable: FREE independent Volume Limit Cable with which you can now limit audio volume to approximately 80% (~ 20dB lower) of original maximum volume. Isn’t it great?
The Kidz headphones are more likely for children of 2 years old and above, and it comes in a great range of colors for your kids to pick their favorite which is kind of advantage. Although this pair does is not so flexible, is interested then The Kidz Gear volume limit fold-flat travel headphones are another costlier option which you can see here. The Kidz Gear headphones are amazing value for money kids headphones and one of the best small headphones present in the market.
3 – LilGadgets Untangled Pro Children’s Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
Next on our list is the LilGadgets Untangled Pro Children’s Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, there are so many advantages of having a pair of wireless headphones and the LilGadgets Pro are the best wireless headphones available for kids out there, and one of best headphones for toddlers. Having a pair of these wireless headphones for toddlers is beneficial while traveling, as it spares you the time and frustration of having to deal with cords issues and allows for more leeway with listening distance. This pair of toddler headphones runs on Bluetooth which quite basic for all wireless headphones.
Headphones falling off can be really frustrating and these headphones have a breathable mesh ear cushion to eradicate this problem. This toddler wireless headphones also comes in the variant of 6 different colors. They also come with a travel bag that keeps them safe. The battery life is 10 hours long and it can charge via a USB cable as well making them an easy option while traveling. LilGadgets Untangled Pro is definitely toddler safe headphones and surely our top wireless headphone pick for kids.
Specs offered by this
- High quality, Bluetooth wireless headphones, sized for kids 4+ and compatible with nearly all Bluetooth devices. The best part is that they are available in six wonderful colors and also with our one-of-a-kind “SharePort” feature, which allows one headphone to be connected wirelessly and others to be daisy-chain so that all listeners are untethered from the device.
- The ear pads and the headbands are particularly covered with a specially designed SoftTouch breathable mesh material for child’s comfort. Not only this, the ear pads are manufactured with children in mind (Now that is what we are looking for) – they have used some nifty engineering to make sure the ear-pads won’t fall off.
- Specifically designed, developed, and tested with kids of all ages to ensure durability (it is a must-have when you know the product could be roughly handled by our cute kids) of the final product while maintaining style and comfort. Moreover, every headphone from their stable comes with a 100% LilGadgets Satisfaction Guarantee, Cool, isn’t it! We believe that you’ll love the way these look, sound, and feel.
- Another awesome part is that offers 12 hours of battery life and with 180 hours of standby time. A USB charging cable is included to re-juice. They have gone a step further and included a 3.5mm cable so that even if you outlast the battery with excessive usage, you can still listen on them the old fashioned way (this seems ordinary feature but it is a kind of must-have). Another cool bit is that every headphone comes with a micro-fiber travel bag to make transporting easy, secure and safe and so that you have something to clean your device screens while on the move.
- For the Kids: A portion of each purchase goes towards bullying prevention and awareness in schools through partner organizations. Additionally, is claimed to minimize the environmental impact (very important attribute every consumer should look into) of LilGadgets through waste reduction, water cleaning projects and, carbon offsets to help keep the outdoors clean for our kids and the future. You can visit them at LilGadgets.com for more info!
These headphones are generally recommended for children above 3 years old, but they have a very slim design that could easily be passed as adult headphones as well, so you can also use them only when it is required. The sound quality is very sharp and clean without any hiccup.
4 – Califone 2810-PA Listening First Kids Stereo Headphones
Last on our list is the Califone 2810-pa, as the headphones for babies can be difficult to select then the Califone 2810-PA may be your salvation. These headphones use a slain on the jack that helps keep the cord attached and is foolproof from even accidentally pulling them out, which is bound to happen and all too frequently as well with jerky kids but as a drawback these headphones do not have a noise canceling feature and a volume limiting feature, and the maximum volume is 110 dB which not at all safe for small babies. They are however still popular among parents, which the reason why it is listed over here.
If you are looking for a cheap pair of headphones for travel and which you can trust your kids with only if you are sure that they won’t turn the volume up, then this would be the best baby headphones for your baby. The design is also durable, which is important when it comes kids as they will be handling them. The audio quality is pretty clean for such a low-cost pair of headphones which makes it a steal.
Specs offered by the company
- Connectivity Technology: Wired
- First Kids listening Stereo and PC Headphones, Cute Panda Design; Adjustable headband; Specifically sized for young children; Permanently attached the 5.5-foot straight cord with reinforced “strain” relief connection; Volume control
- Universal 3.5mm plug (Right angle); Ambient noise-reducing durable ABS plastic earcups; Protective slotted baffles
- 30mm Mylar Cone Speaker with Ferrite Magnet, Impedance 25 Ohms ea side+/-15%, Freq Resp 20 – 20KHz, SPL 110 dB +/- 3db, R/L output diff 3 db, Rating Input min 20mw and max 30mw, Transducers 40mm Mylar dome driver unit, Distortion 5%, Sensitivity 98dB ± 3dB at 1kHz
- Cushioning: leatherette Foam-filled Ear Cushions; Apple & PC compatible; Total Unit Weight 9.6 ounces
These are most suitable to be used from 1-year old for most babies, and we assume these to be the perfect pair of headphones for your child’s first wear. And the most important thing is the cuteness level for your kiddo to flaunt and we can say without blinking an eye that this pair is cuteness overload for sure! This particular design has ear cups that are shaped as Pandas.
5 – JLab JBuddies Kids Volume Limiting Headphones review
Next on our list is another popular headphone that is the JLab Kids Headphones, the company is famous among their parents. The headphones have a feature that is can be limited up to 90db which is actually the suggested limit, as this feature is being auto built into the headphones. The entire feature that consists in it also makes them the best selection for toddlers on planes, as the children have a habit to turn the volume right up.
The JLab kids’ headphones are available in different colors which include pink, purple, blue and black and including a total of 8 different stickers for your child to choose to place on the earpiece which makes these kid headphones complete. However, for less than $1 more you can also purchase these headphones with a folding option which is personally recommended as it aids traveling. They will be so much less space-consuming while packing in your carry baggage and as an additional feature these headphones also come with a travel bag
Specs offered for the product
- Specifically manufactured keeping high-quality components with kids in mind and including a wide variety of theme stickers for kids with every interest, the JLab kid headphones are sure to be a winner with both kids and parents alike! These are cool and sporty headphones are manufactured with split resistant plastic, very durable and include a travel pouch for you to keep the product well secured while on the move.
- JLab has spent widely on the development with the inclusion of hypoallergenic ear cushions, multiple theme stickers, an easy to use volume knob and a built-in volume limiter. The best part is that the designing of the headphones happened with the help of kids, this means kids get an ultra-comfortable fit making long train/road trips and plane rides easier to manage and fun-filled. These JLab kids’ headphones surely going to keep kids happy while ensuring parents that their kid’s listening experience is safe.
- Acoustically designed for kids limiting volume to less than 90 dB complying to both EN50332 and ASTM recommendations (no extra cables required!) * Smaller headband ensures an ultra-comfortable fit for ages 2+
- Hypoallergenic ear cushions keep sensitive skin safe * Easy to use volume knob allows kids to control their listening experience easily.
- Limited one-year warranty with JLab’s world-class customer support
These headphones are perfect for ages 2 and up and are small enough to fit undoubtedly and comfortably on the children’s head. Due to the hypoallergenic ear cushions, it provides for a comfortable experience. These headphones are compatible with all of the most common equipment including tablets mobile phones and Leapfrog products. Bluetooth as a technology is considered safe for children, however, you can read more here for the electromagnetic radiation effects and how to keep your children safe from electromagnetic rays.
Frequently asked questions
– Why it is paramount to buy your kid safe headphone?
According to a report by the world health organization (WHO), more than 1.1 billion children and young adults have the potential of losing their hearing ability due to the unsafe use of headphones. Therefore, a parent it is critical to ensure that the headphones you buy for your kid are safe for him.
Also, if your child will listen to music at unsafe volume levels, it might affect his ears. So, ensure that you get a headphone with limiting volume levels so that you can be able to adjust the listening volume for your toddler.
– How to Manage Your Child’s Listening Volume?
When you are traveling with your child, it is paramount to limit the volume at which your child will be listening on the headphone. However, you might not be with your kid every time they are using the headphones, that is why is is important to manage the listening volume.
Hereunder are some of the steps that you can take to protect your toddler’s ears from high volumes. Depending on the device that your kid is using, there are various steps that you can take.
For instance, if your toddler is using an Apple device, you can set the volume limit by following the following steps:
- Go to settings. Then scroll to the music section and tap on it.
- After that, click on the volume limit. This directs you to a slide with different levels. According to WHO, the best level for a toddler to listen to music is 60% volume. Therefore, pull the slider to 60%.
- Next, tap on the return allowed on the top left to return to the setting menu again.
After you have set the volume, it is paramount to protect that volume level so that your child will not adjust it again. You can protect it by setting a password for the same.
To put a password on the volume level, follow the following steps:
- From the open setting menu, tap on the general option. Then scroll down to the part with restrictions
- On the restrictions, tap enables the restriction. This will ask you to enter a 4 digit password. Ensure that the password is easily memorable.
- Then scroll on the menu to the bottom and select the volume limit.
- Next, tap on the doesn’t allow changes.
- After that, click on the back allow and you have set the volume limit for your child.
– What to look into while buying the headphones for children?
Children are known to be careless and can mishandle items. For this reason, you need headphones that are durable and sturdy to withstand the mishandling by your kid. Headphones with a sturdy construction will be able to stand the tugging and pulling. This will prevent you from buying new headphones every time you want to travel with your kid.
It is critical to consider the material used in making the headphones that you want to buy for your child. The material used should be soft and safe for your child. Ensure that the material does not contain any harmful chemicals that might harm your child.
When buying headphones for a toddler, the color is a critical factor to consider. Children love bright colors. Also, if possible it should have some prints which will make the kid more attracted to the headphones.
The cord of the headphones should be made of tangle-free material. Since your child is likely to toggle and pull the cord, it is critical that it be made tangle-free so that the tiny hands do not get entangled in the cord. Also, when a cord can entangle itself, it easily gets cut which will affect the sound quality.
Ensure that the headphones you purchase for your toddler can be used on more than one device. Besides using it on the airplane, your child should be able to use the headphone on other music players such as tablets, iPhones, smartphones, iPad among others.
Since you will be using the headphones during travel, it is advisable that the headphone be foldable. Headphones that are foldable are ideal because you can be able to store them easily and carry them in a small space. Besides that, the headband should also be adjustable. This is a salient feature because it allows the child to adjust the headphone to fit on his head comfortably.
Another critical factor to look for in a headphone for a toddler is comfort. The headphone should be made of comfortable material because if you are traveling a long distance, your kid should be comfortable with the headphones. In addition to that, they should be lightweight so that your child will not be uncomfortable with the headphones.
If you can find kid’s headphones with the noise-canceling ability the better. Why? Because it reduces the need for your child to turn up the volume when in a noisy environment because the headphone will cut out all unwanted sounds.
Size of earmuffs:
When you are buying earphones for your kid, ensure that you check the size of the earmuffs. Getting the headphones with the correct earmuff size will ensure that your toddler will not fiddle with either too big or too small earbuds. The right size of the earmuffs will ensure that your child will be comfortable and can wear the headphone for a long time without experiencing any discomfort to the ears.
Choosing a headphone for a toddler is not at all an easy task as it involves various factors and risks of damaging ears of your little ones, so be an informed parent and make a smart choice while choosing the best headphones for kids as your toddler solely depends on you. The above-listed products may aid the selection process as they are designed for a specific purpose. Hoping that it’ll be of some help. We have tried hard to list best baby ear plugs for flying and make that flight enjoyable (and peaceful). The drawn-out list is done through referring reviews and rating, it is related only to a particular cause not in general.
We hope that we were able to help you find the almost best headphones for toddlers on planes, we reckon anyone that you end up choosing from the list above will keep you and your child satisfied and most importantly safe! Happy listening and safe travels!